The Winston Family!

Your source for infrequent updates on the adventures and misadventures of Stephen, Janet, Rose, John, Seth and baby Joy.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Catching Up: First Day of School


One of the many many things that happened while I was incommunicado was the big kids starting school way back in September. I never posted the obligatory "adorable kid in front of the new school and in the new classroom" pictures. So here they are.

Rose is in Kindergarten now (Eek! My baby is in Kindergarten!). It is a public school just down the street, and she loves it. They wear uniforms, which I thought would bug me, but turns out to be both adorable and easy. No fuss over what to wear! Kindergarten admissions in NYC are worse than college, I swear, so we were really luck to find a great school nearby AND to actually get a spot at that school.

John is in the 3's program at the preschool Rose went to last year. He goes three mornings a week, which is a good amount for him. He likes being big enough to go to school, but also likes having "days off" to spend more time with mom and Seth. He really loves his teachers and is also a big fan of the school's pet Tortoise.

I also get to go to school this year, since I am teaching music at John's preschool. I spend half an hour with each class gettting into some very basic musical concepts. I am really enjoying the chance to be back in a classroom setting, without the responsibility of being a full-time teacher. It is still very rewarding. Today one little boy talked to me for the first time. All year long the other kids have been telling me "He doesn't talk," and I just kept telling them "Of course he does. And he will when he wants to." Well, today he wanted to. He not only spoke, but also made a puppet sing a solo. I almost jumped out of my seat, I was so happy.

So anyway, hooray for school and hooray for cute kids, both mine and the students I work with.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home